Welcome to my site

Just a few jottings - - Random ramblings, occasional crafty creations & nature notes included. Trying to "Design a life I love" - succeeding I think -----.

Friday 24 December 2010

December 24th

Christmas Eve on the island - and it is still freezing - the snow is clinging to my little island home as if it's never going to leave. I have never seen snow on our beaches before - inches deep as well!
However my home is cosy and warm and my guests slept well last night - the turkey is cooked and ready for tomorrow - and the ham just needs finishing in the morning when we do the vegetables. Mum is finishing the trifle and we have Belgian waffles with caramel sauce, chocolate sauce or raspberry sauce as an alternative pudding.
There are so many stories & legends associated with Christmas Eve that I really could have filled a book - but this time I thought I would include the rhyme linked to the game of Snapdragon. It seems to be very out of fashion now - and indeed I don't think we have ever played it - but I do know that you splash a large bowl of raisins with alcohol and light it, then sing the rhyme as you grab a handful to eat. I'm not quite sure how you decide a winner - if there is one, that is!!
Christmas Eve no longer has the same sense of anticipation as it used to - all our "little ones" are now grown, so stockings don't have quite the same magic any longer - and as our family is scattered there are fewer presents under the tree - gifts have been dispatched to catch the Christmas post. And with all the snow the UK has been hit by there has been widespread disruption. However I d think everything arrived safely - so can sleep easy in my bed.

The Story of Snapdragon
'Here he comes with flaming bowl,
Don't he mean to take his toll,
               Snip! Snap! Dragon!

Take care you don't take too much,
Be not greedy in your clutch,
               Snip! Snap! Dragon!

With his blue and lapping tongue
Many of you will be stung,
               Snip! Snap! Dragon!

For he snaps at all that comes
Snatching at his feast of plums,
               Snip! Snap! Dragon!

But Old Christmas makes him come,
Though he looks so fee! fa! fum!
               Snip! Snap! Dragon!

Don't 'ee fear him, be but bold--
Out he goes, his flames are cold,
               Snip! Snap! Dragon!'


Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: