Welcome to my site

Just a few jottings - - Random ramblings, occasional crafty creations & nature notes included. Trying to "Design a life I love" - succeeding I think -----.

Thursday 6 December 2007

Christmas Memories - December 6th


Today prompt is about Christmas memories - good and not so good. Here is the text. I'll try to post pictures later.

I have so many I could write a book - but oddly enough I can't think of any that were not just right - none at all. All good - I have been blessed.Probably because I know that I always look back down the years through those magical rose coloured spectacles, my memory is particularly selective (thanks mum and granny for you gave me the gift of an optimistic outlook on life)and I only ever remember the good times, whilst the not so good just fades into the background.


The Thomas & Bertie Christmas
Oooh it was so cold – the year Ben wanted the Thomas & Bertie play set for Christmas – and it was proving impossible to get hold of. I had tried every toy shop & market stall in Oldham, Rochdale, Ashton, Bolton and Manchester and not been able to find anyone who had it in stock – in desperation I had gone through the yellow pages phoning every toy shop in the north west of England and tracked down a small independent retailer with one left in stock in the village of Marple in Cheshire, who agreed to put it on one side for me to collect at the weekend! You have no idea how relieved I was – Ben was only 2 – almost 3 and just would not have understood why Santa hadn’t brought what he has asked him for.
And to top that it started snowing - and snowing – and snowing! Then came the big freeze – and it just got colder & colder so that by the time Saturday arrived – it was an icebox outside – snow which had become ice, black ice & freezing fog – just treacherous driving conditions really! But Needs Must – as the saying goes! So we bundled up the children in coats, hats, scarves, gloves & blankets, wrapped ourselves up as well as we could and set off to collect “Santa’s delivery”!! The van (our only form of transport was a VW Campervan – with very unreliable heating) had to be defrosted many times on the journey – one of incredible slowness because of the dangerous state of the roads- and it felt like we were the only people mad enough to be venturing out on this particular winter’s day - the things you do for love!!
Have you ever tried explaining to a 10 yr old & a 3 yr old just why you had to go out on such an awful day to collect something that is supposed to arrive courtesy of a magical person and that you can’t let them see – under any circumstances!! No – I thought not – I couldn’t think what to say either!

Sorry - as usual now with me -once I started I couldn't stop!!

No comments: