Welcome to my site

Just a few jottings - - Random ramblings, occasional crafty creations & nature notes included. Trying to "Design a life I love" - succeeding I think -----.

Tuesday 12 December 2006

Logs to Burn


This is one of my favourite verses for this time of year. I especially love it now that we burn logs in the cottage. Having a real fire is one of the joys of my Christmas. I do intend to use this in my Christmas Journal in some way - but don't yet know how.

Logs to Burn

Beech-wood fires burn bright and clear,
If the logs are kept a year:
Store your Beech for Christmastide,
With new cut Holly laid beside.
Chestnut's only good, they say,
If for years 'tis stored away;
Birch and Fir-wood burn too fast,
Blaze too bright and do not last;
Flames from Larch will shoot up high,
Dangerously the sparks will fly.

But Ash-wood green and Ash-wood brown
Are fit for a Queen with golden crown.

Oaken logs, if dry and old,
Keep away the winters cold,
Poplar gives a bitter smoke,
Fills your eyes and makes you choke;
Elm-wood burns like churchyard mould,
E'en the very flames are cold.
Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread -
So it is in Ireland said;
Apple-wood will scent the room,
Pear-wood smells like flowers in bloom,

But Ash-wood wet and Ash-wood dry
A King may warm his slippers by.

No comments: